Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
- 1 lb ground turkey breast
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat bread crumbs
- 2-4 minced garlic gloves
- 2 tsp grapeseed oil OR coconut oil
- 1 cup dried black beans, rinsed (optional 1 can of BPA-free black beans)
- 2 cups diced fresh tomatoes
- 1/2 cup organic white and yellow frozen corn (non GMO)
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Place dried black beans in water and apple cider vinegar or lemon juice – cover beans with water by 1 inch. Cover and place in the refrigerator overnight (12-24 hours).
- Drain beans (when using canned black beans, drain and rinse).
- In a large bowl, combine turkey, egg whites, bread crumbs, garlic, paprika, salt and pepper and mix well. Shape into meatballs the size of a golf ball.
- In a large skillet, heat oil on medium-high. Add meatballs and cook for 5-7 minutes, turning frequently, until browned on all sides. Add beans, tomatoes, corn, broth, lime juice and cumin and mix well.
- Reduce heat to medium and partially cover. Cook for an additional 5-7 minutes or until meatballs are thoroughly cooked.